Most of my work is inspired by fashion, or at least design outside the culinary world. Yet people always ask me to make a cake that looks like their purse. Why do you want to eat your purse! This blog can be a learning tool for you and an outlet of self expression for me:) No more purse cakes! Enjoy!

Friday, June 12, 2015

Chanel and Chocolate Tiles


Sorry I have been absent for a while!   But I am back with lots to share.  I came across this video of the making of a Christian Dior bag.  I love it because it's something I have always wondered about....but also because it reminds me of what I do.  Look at all the work and detail that goes into this purse.....



This is why they are so expensive!  The same amount of time and effort goes into a cake....especially a wedding cake.  That is why we charge the prices we charge!

A couple months ago I was asked by Cake Central to create a cake based on this Chanel look.


Cool right?   It's like a hipster's version of the little black dress.  I was drawn to the colorful square tiles...so that's exactly where I took my inspiration.

As I have mentioned before, I work for a food importer, in2food.  We carry a line of silicone molds from Pavoni and I have the perfect one for this project!


Its called Savain Quardrato....no I can't pronounce it either;)  

So I want the idea of the tiles, but I don't want to just cut out squares.  I need some dimension!  I am going to make truffles in this mold to use as my decoration.

I think spatter paint is the way to go.


I have loaded a couple piping bags with colored chocolate.  Now I cut the tip and splatter the chocolate into the mold in a random pattern.



Here is another one I did in purple and green.

Now before you fill the mold with chocolate, scrape off the excess colored chocolate.


Now make the truffles and once set, turn them out.


Ta Da!!....the tiles are born.  I just used chocolate to glue them to the fondant.

Here she is....





She came out pretty good!  You can see I tried to vary the colors of the tiles to get a fun and avante garde kind of look.


That's all for now.


















6 comments:

  1. Most of my work is inspired by fashion, or at least design outside the culinary world. Yet people always ask me to make a cake that looks like their purse. bikini 2016 collection

    ReplyDelete

  2. Réplique de haute qualité replique montres d'un horloger digne de confiance? ici peut vous offrir la meilleure réplique de montres Omega UK en haute qualité, y compris Cartier, Breitling, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been watching my watch. After receiving the goods, I was surprised.cheapest rolex watches uk The leather strap is comfortable, the watch is lightweight, of high quality,cheapest explorer watches and good price. If you are looking for a watch that suits your daily wear, this replica watch is definitely the perfect outfit. I will buy again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is very important that you get the right quality of tiles for which you are actually paying for. Today there is wide variety of tiles available for your kitchen. Like there are stone tiles, Porcelain tiles, etc. alicatado cocina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Muchas gracias por el post, estoy buscando comprar azulejos porcelanicos online tienda de azulejos online

    ReplyDelete